Washington Examiner | by Julia Johnson | April 24, 2023
The network announced Monday morning the departure of the popular prime-time host.
According to Fox News, Carlson’s last episode was on Friday, April 21.
“FOX News Media and Tucker Carlson have agreed to part ways. We thank him for his service to the network as a host and prior to that as a contributor,” a network spokesperson told the Washington Examiner in a statement.
Until a new host is selected, Fox News says that Fox News Tonight will take the show’s place in the interim.
Beginning Monday evening, a rotating group of Fox News personalities will host the program.
The announcement comes as a shock to many, as the channel recently touted Carlson’s success “as the highest-rated program in cable news in the younger 25-54 demo, averaging 3.2 million viewers, 443,000 in the demo and 299,000 in the 18-49 category” in the first quarter of 2023.
His show was additionally the network’s second most popular program in 2022, behind only The Five.
This is the second high-profile exit from Fox News in less than a week. Last week, Dan Bongino revealed that he would no longer be producing his television or radio shows for Fox News or Fox Nation after the two could not come to an agreement for a contract extension.
However, Bongino assured viewers that there is no bad blood between him and his former employer.
Carlson has yet to make a statement regarding his sudden departure.
This also comes as Fox News recently settled a defamation suit with Dominion Voting Systems just before a trial was set to begin. According to Dominion attorney Justin Nelson, the settlement amounted to more than $787 million.
Its unclear if the hefty sum owed to Dominion is connected to the high-profile departures.