Officials say lithium-ion battery caused truck to explode in Augusta
CBS13 WGME | by Owen Kingsley | May 14, 2023
AUGUSTA (WGME) – Officials say a truck explosion outside the Blaine House in Augusta last week was caused by a lithium-ion battery failure.
The battery was attached to a cordless drill in the back of the pickup parked on Chamberlain Street, according to the Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office.
Maine State Fire Marshal’s say Thursday’s truck explosion outside the Blaine House was caused by a lithium-ion battery failure.
Fire officials say these fires and explosions are infrequent, but spontaneous combustion of lithium-ion batteries does occur.
Earlier this month, the CBS 13 I-Team brought you the story of a Falmouth couple who’s massage gun exploded in the middle of the night, and caused a fire in their bedroom.
That product, and many others had a lithium-ion battery.
Check out that story here to learn what actions are being taken in the state right now to better track these types of fires.
Source: Officials say lithium-ion battery caused truck to explode in Augusta | WGME